We welcome those organizations and individuals that:
• Use grantmaking or investment as a core strategy to fulfill their mission;
• Make grants or invest more than $50,000 annually;
• Share SAFSF’s goal of increasing funding and viability for sustainable agriculture and food system organizations and enterprises. Related efforts might include: land preservation, public health, social or worker justice, pesticide use reduction, food security, water, nutrition, climate change, global trade policies, biodiversity, and so forth;
• Support relationship-building, knowledge-sharing, and collaborative enterprise within SAFSF’s framework;
• Share perspectives and expertise with SAFSF colleagues;
• Provide financial support for SAFSF, its programs and initiatives; and
• Show an interest in enhancing the reputation of and expanding opportunities for SAFSF.
Participation in SAFSF events and committees is open to all individual donors, executive and program staff, and members of the Board of grantmaking or investment organizations. Development or fundraising staff are not permitted to participate in SAFSF events or to subscribe to our listserv.
Interpretation of these criteria is at the discretion of the SAFSF Board of Directors. The Board of Directors also reserves the right to review a member’s fulfillment of these criteria at any time. Members may not use their participation in SAFSF for promotional purposes or for private gain. SAFSF reserves the right to deny membership or remove a member if an applicant or member’s actions reflect poorly on the field and might harm SAFSF’s reputation. Lawsuits, federal or state investigations, consumer boycotts, or other significant actions against an applicant, member, or affiliated organization would raise such concern.
Please contact Renee Catacalos ([email protected]) to schedule a pre-membership call. Following our initial call, you will be asked to complete a membership application. The information requested on the application form will help us to build and maintain an accurate snapshot and understanding of the breadth and depth of our members’ work. This information is intended to facilitate our ability to provide you, the members, with links to one another based on real data. Contact information and/or information about members’ funding practices and interests is not released to the public.
Applications are reviewed by staff and SAFSF’s Membership Committee with the final review and approval made by the Board of Directors. SAFSF reserves the right to request additional information from applicants. Applicants will be notified upon receipt of their application. Payment is not due at the time of application. An invoice will be sent once membership has been approved.
All questions should be directed to Renee Catacalos, Member and Strategic Partnerships Manager at (301) 675-2299 or [email protected]
Application deadlines are January 15th, April 15th, July 30th, September 15th (2020 only) and October 15th. You will be notified of a decision generally within two to four weeks following the deadline.
2020 Membership Fees
Recommended levels of support from each member organization are assessed on total grantmaking or investment in sustainable agriculture and food system programs and initiatives in the last full fiscal year. The intent of such fees is to ensure the commitment of members, provide continuing financial sustainability for SAFSF, encourage greater participation by funders, and reduce the inefficiencies associated with ad hoc yearly fundraising. Fees are determined following a personal conversation between staff and applicant(s) and may be paid in annual dues, as an annual grant, and/or as special support for particular activities, as long as the giving totals fall within the ranges stated below.